My Amazon Store

Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Earth Shook Today!

The last couple of weeks we have had head colds and allergies. Last year I made an announcement to the kids, on any given day that they did not leave the house, they could declare it pj day for themselves.  Of course, double checking with me to make sure there wasn't anything planned and not mentioned.  It is a rare day that I never have to leave my home.  A day nothing is planned.  If there isn't anything planned, well that is the day shopping will sometimes (most likely) get delegated to... Today, I woke up tired.  Tired to my bones.  I took my shower and just wasn't revived, my bed unmade just kept whispering my name.
While brushing my teeth I looked at my calendar.  Nothing.  Nothing at all.  Not one reason to leave my house!  PJ day!  I felt the stress of getting ready for the day lift off my shoulders.  The suprising and best part... my youngest girl was ecstatic for me.  She told me to Go for it!  Her encouragement meant the world to me.  Kids started school and I grabbed my Bible and drink and took this picture sitting next to my diffuser.

Sniffling and snuffling, I read.  My head was pounding because this morning I wasn't bouncing out of the morning stuffiness that comes with head colds and allergies.  


I just kept counting my blessings that I could have a PJ day.  I felt deliriously like a lady of leisure.  An amazing indulgence that was for the moment better than chocolate. 


Then I did something else.  The timer dinged and it was break time.  I declared a hour break.  An hour to play a game.  We arranged ourselves around the table, with 2 of us sitting in the sun's rays because sunshine beating on our heads and backs always seems to relieve congestion.  We played.  Snacked.  Laughed.  The timer dinged and it was back to work.  So much work was accomplished before lunch as a result.  


When I made my announcement the kids just looked at me.  They knew better to argue... cause I was offering FUN!  But I asked them, did you feel that?  Did you smell that?? More looks.  I think the earth shook, I think the volcanoes are erupting and there might be some hail... My oldest caught on quick and said she's saying the earth might be ending... 

Their mother just doesn't do things like this.  I looked at them and said, for a long time your mother didn't do things like this.  She was super responsible.  But NOW things are different.  Now Mom has some freedom to say, for one hour we will play.  Yes, we will still have the work to do, but it will get done.  We know what we are trading time for and what will need to be done.  We will get it done.  Smiles... 
My heart soars.  
Laughter...
Days like this, school like this... incredibly blessed today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment