My Amazon Store

Monday, September 7, 2015

108 days till Christmas!!

Yep!  I am already thinking about Christmas.
108 days, just over 3 months. That isn't very many paydays between now and then!
Between now and then we also have 2 kid birthdays and who knows how many "extra" birthdays...

Sticking to a budget and keeping things affordable sometimes means anticipating the future.
There are a whole lot of great deals happening these days.

So these are some things that are happening and I am considering in anticipation of Christmas.

This past weekend, our local grocery store, Dillons was offering quadruple fuel points on gift cards.
This can be a huge savings.  If your gift card purchase is $250, that is equal to 1,000 fuel points and that translates to $1.00 off a gallon of gas up to 35 gallons.  A savings of $35.  (Or think of it as some "free" Christmas presents bought!)

This isn't a great deal if you have to charge your gift cards to a credit card and pay interest.
However,  if you have some wiggle room in the budget and can stock up on some gift cards for future purchases it was a great time to do so.  Whenever, Dillons offer quadruple points I evaluate our calendar.  Birthdays that are coming up, crazy schedules that may require eating out, Christmas, etc.  If there is nothing in these categories, I just evaluate where I will be shopping for normal everyday stuff.  If I am going to spend the money, anyhow, it doesn't matter if it is cash, debit card or gift card and I might as well maximize the buying power of my dollar.

There are Kohl's cash events, Old Navy Super Cash events and countless other rewards and savings opportunities.  An app called Find and Save is offering all sorts of cash back opportunities that match up with some of these sale events.  To redeem some of these offers is as simple as just taking a picture of your receipt with your phone and submitting!  It is quickly becoming ONE of my favorite apps to use for in-store shopping! While there is always a sale happening, some happen to be better deals at certain times of the year. I love to layer the savings with in-store deals, coupons, rebates and gift cards/fuel points.  

So I have been challenging my kids to think ahead.  I have asked them to not share with me the things they kinda like, but the things that they "love."  Share with me the things that make each of them smile.  Point out needs.  Let me know which wants would truly be a blessing and bring a smile to your face and heart and get used.  So we have been hitting the stores a little bit more.  Collecting ideas.  Smart phones are great for taking pictures of items with prices for future reference.  Or taking "notes" on the app provided.  I have been utitilizing rewards and rebates to put aside what I can as I am able.

Something I figured out years ago, is this is the perfect time to start collecting various snacks and treats for stockings.  Gum and candy sales, hair accessories, art supplies.  Between coupons, back to school and the start of Halloween candy deals/coupons lots of these items can be tucked away for a much lower cost.

Unfortunately, I can't share all my great finds... my kids KNOW about this blog and well, I think they would ruin some of their suprises.  Sometimes, especially the teenagers, they already know I have put something aside because they picked it out.  Other times, I am able to score the deal without them ever knowing!!  And that is just whip cream and a cherry on the top knowing how suprised they will be!

What are some of the ways you save and anticipate for Christmas and other special occassions?


No comments:

Post a Comment