My Amazon Store

Saturday, October 17, 2015

He goes before Me, He is always with me, and He has my back PART 1

Isaish 52:2
But you will not leave in haste or go in flight; for the LORD will go before you, the God of Israel will be your rear guard.
Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Isaiah 43:2
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.

This week God has reaffirmed these words over and over to me and my children.  
Way back in 2003, I took advantage of an opportunity the local fire department was providing the community.  A firefighter came to my home, did fire safety education with my children.  Taught them what to do specifically if our home caught fire.  Then, he did a safety inspection.  The list was suprising.  Especially, considering one of my fears was not being able to get to my children in the event of fire because we have a split bedroom floorplan.  
It was disappointing when I shared the list and it wasn't received with the same concern I was experiencing.  To appease my concern, an effort was made to at least blow out the dryer exhaust/lint tube whenever I experienced longer dryer times for the laundry.  In case, anyone else is asking... yes, I clean the lint trap of my dryer regularly.  EVERY time the dryer is used.  Like I said a house fire has always been one of those fears that crop up in my heart.  I take the thoughts captive.  I pray.  I refuse to let it control me, instead I try to do what is needed to make my home safer.   

Almost 2 weeks ago, there was a strange smell as the kids and I did laundry.  Deep in my heart I thought it smelled slightly of smoke.  I just didn't want to alarm the kids.  I, also, just didn't want to go there.  Dreading the possibility of dryer needing to be replaced or costly repairs.  So my son and I moved the dryer and the vent was blown out as in the past. But nothing really came out and that was to be expected.  We had recently tried to blow it out.  I have known several women who have repaired their dryers on their own.  A friend recently shared with me, it never hurts to start a project and call for help if you find yourself in over your head.  The initial breakdown is done and it could save on labor (which could be a bonus).  So armed with You Tube, tools and optimsim I began the process of opening up the back of my dryer. 


Lint was everywhere.  I set to cleaning it up.  Found a pulley wheel (would learn the name later).  Cleaned more lint.  Then realized I couldn't get all of the lint.  So I went to You Tube to figure out how to open the front of my dryer.  I couldn't find a video.  But I did find a video talking about my pulley wheel and belt.  I tucked that piece of info to the back of my mind, noting something was broken BUT I still needed to get into the front of the washer to clean out lint.  I knew lint was dangerous.  Eventually, I found information telling me to use a putty knife.  Of all things!  It took a while to figure out how to make it work. I needed to change my physical position to the dryer to get the leverage I needed, but it was open.  Such excitement on my part.  I did it!  Proud of my accomplishement I proceeded with taking the dryer apart.  Later I would learn, I didn't need to remove the dryer door or the lint trap completely, but hey, now I know how a dryer is assembled.  I found the belt discussed in the earlier video.  I cleaned out the lint.  

With the lint cleaned up, I started doing my research.  I watched the video about the pulley and belt.  Learned the pulley was probably bad and needed to be replaced.  I began to make phone calls and learned about this website.  I entered my dryer's model number and found the part.  More phone calls.  More questions.  Meanwhile, life continues and breaks are needed.  I was exhausted and starting to question whether I would be able to do the repair.  So I called a friend of mine.  She does all sorts of amazing things.  She repairs appliances.  She builds additions onto her home.  She gardens and cans.  She is amazing.  Never shrinks back from learning and trying new things.  I knew she would be honest with me.  So I asked her if I was in over my head.  She didn't know, but she knew someone who could answer that question and directed my questions wisely to her dad.  Another phone call, pictures taken and emailed, websites shared and an appointment made.  I took a breath and decided I would just rest.  I had asked God to direct my steps. 

This past week, my friend's dad showed up on my door step and set to work. It didn't take long.  He didn't seem to mind that I watched.  The repair itself wasn't terribly hard.  The reassembly was the issue.  It required a special glue. I wouldn't have known that.  It required installing in the correct direction, the wrong direction there would be an issue.  No markings to tell which way to go...no instructions explaining how to check... He noticed there was too much lint in the dryer.  (Did I mention I cleaned it ALL out?  I used a vaccuum and a swiffer dust cloth to get the little bits.)  He was noticing too much lint after I cleaned?  Then he showed me some lint that had caught fire.  My stomache and heart was feeling all sorts of alarm and deep gratitude.  

He finished the reassembly, explained how the dryer can be broken down but in fewer pieces.  Then he tested the air flow.  He set to fluff and went outside to check air flow to the outside vent... very, very little to almost none.  Something is wrong.  He goes in and says he wants to make sure the dryer is connected correctly and will get hot for drying.  It is heating up too fast.  Something is wrong. We go to the basement.  Our dryer does not back up to an exterior wall of the home.  It is more in the center of the home.  It has a 15-18 foot ventilation tube to the outside of the home.  My friend's dad stands there and calmly tells me I need to get someone to clean out the tube.  It's clogged.  In spite of all the twice a year attempts to blow out the ventilation tube it is clogged.  There is just too much lint.  

No comments:

Post a Comment