My Amazon Store

Saturday, October 17, 2015

He goes before Me, He is always with me, and He has my back PART 2

I had to have a sit down.  I had to breathe.  I had to thank God for His mighty protection and His peace.  I knew in my heart something bad had happened that day I smelled something "funny."  I recognized the "strange" and yet familiar sense of peace that enveloped me.  The same peace I experience 16 years ago as I lay in a hospital bed listening to doctors and medical staff begin the process of bringing my son into the world while trying to save both of our lives.  A peace beyond explanation but knowing He is there and with me and not going to leave me.

The fire that happened and put itself out because the blower in the dryer "broke" and moisture filled the inside of the dryer.  The stubborn tunnel vision of trying to get the dryer open to clean the lint out leading to the video that provided me the information that the dryer was broken and repairable (otherwise I might have just bought a new one...)  The fatigue that forced me to rest for a couple of days till I was prompted to call my friend.  The firm assurance by individuals that fixing was better than replacing. Trusting God and the counsel He was providing.  Repairs made, that led to other questions and "fatherly" concern and suggestions.   God was there in the midst of it all, directing my steps and questions and protecting us all the while.


Following the suggestion of another friend, I decided the teens and I would attempt to clean out the tube ourselves.  So we did.  We could always call for help if needed, but try and see what we could do ourselves.  It was alarming what we found.  I started with the section closest to the dryer.  I attempted to use the shop vac and it was just apparant that was just going to take forever and it was just packed too tightly.  We removed the section.  It was one screw and some "aluminium foil" like duct tape.  And I sent it outside with the boys to clean out.  Meanwhile, I began to look into section two.  Surely it couldn't be as full. So I attempted to vaccuum it out as well.  Again it was becoming a chore.

With a sigh, I moved the ladder and removed tape and another screw and we played jigsaw puzzle games to get it out of between the floor trusses.  It too was packed full.  There was now only one tube left.  I attempted vaccuuming it out.  And with great relief, it was a chore but was manageable.  Quickly, there was daylight and it was possible to see to the end that vented to the outside.  Painstakingly, using attachments, I vaccuumed and blew out the lint.

What I learned as we cleaned out these tubes...  Blowing out the dryer vent probably worked well in the beginning.  BUT.. as time passed not enough time was spent in the blowing and cleaning out process.  Lint "sticks" just like it does in the lint trap of a dryer.  If the air flow from a dryer blower isn't strong enough to blow it out the ventilation tube, the air from an air compressor or shop vac isn't going to be strong enough to blow it out.  My trip to the hardware store revealed there are brushes that can be purchased to assist in this kind of cleaning. Similar to that of a chimney sweeps tools/brushes.  They might have helped a little bit in the cleaning, but not this time.  It was just too packed full.  If I see lint anywhere but in the dryer lint trap, I need to be concerned and asking questions.

We took a break.  A four day break.  I was exhausted.  Meanwhile, I purchased the "aluminum foil duct tape" and contemplated hiring out the putting it all back together job.  God, as gentle as He is, directed my steps again.  Today, my kids and I re-installed the tubes and put them back together again.  It wasn't so bad.  I was still exhausted.  I struggle with mental fatigue which is extremely frustrating.  The puzzle thinking to get the job done (tubes passed through floor trusses at strange angles) + the physical effort means my major "task" of the weekend is over.  I will focus on smaller things this weekend. But my "working" is done.  There is a sense of satisfaction and joy in the accomplishment.  I did it.  I may be limited in how much I can do at one time and require more breaks, but I can still tackle a project and see it to the end.  I am extremely proud of my kids and the work they have done.

I asked them what they had learned through this adventure?

"Always have a laundry room that is located on the exterior wall of a home."
"To clean out ventilation tubes."
"Girls can do "stuff" too."
There are more lessons being learned and re-emphasized.  They are learning to ask questions.  Learning how to learn and solve problems.  Learning how to try something with caution and optimism and a willingness to acknowledge when help is needed.  Learning "not knowing" is nothing to be ashamed of, it just means you have not had the opportunity till now.  Learning that fixes and solutions aren't cookie cutter-alike all the time and God does direct our paths. Learning the process is part of the journey and lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment