My Amazon Store

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Moments I want to remember and treasure



Getting this guy to read and like it, well I was close to giving up.  I love to read!  Love it.  As a parent with 5 children, I have learned children are fearfully and wonderfully made.  They are unique individuals and a passion for reading is not always passed on to our children.  I endeavor to teach them how to ask questions, how to seek out answers and to desire to keep learning.  I have also wanted them to love delving into a story on pages so deeply, they just don't want to put the book down.  I want them to prefer paper and ink over a remote and brightly colored lights and noise.  This summer, I listed off a series of chores and activities to be done each day.  Chores for the home and self care.  Reading for the soul (Bible time).  Reading for the mind and creativity.  An artistic pursuit, to explore personal creativity.  Until all of these are done, none of them can ask me what we are going to do or if we can go do this or that.  Blessed peace in the morning for a few hours each day!  

New interestes have surfaced as a result.  
It wasn't until I told this kiddo about the Summer Bookit Challenge did he become driven to read. Something about being entered into a drawing for pizza gift cards inspired him.  What he didn't expect was to enjoy reading!  He read and read and read.  He got caught up in the stories.  He was so excited when he finished reading Peter Pan.  My prayer now is that this love for reading continues beyond this summer's challenge.  



No comments:

Post a Comment