My Amazon Store

Friday, July 17, 2015

This summer we are learning new habits

IThis summer has been full of new things.
Learning to shop CVS and make use of ECB.
Learning to live under new family dynamics.
Learning to create new habits.
New habits has been a huge one.
It is challenging and demanding of time, energy and thoughts.
This is my first summer vacation in 13 years.
Yep, 13 years!



We have homeschooled all the years of having school aged children and my oldest just completed her first year of college.
Each year, we have been "behind."  Needing to catch up.  If/when my children's work was done, then there was lesson planning and grading for me to do.  I became crazy demanding sometime after January this year. Over and over my kids heard me say, "I am getting a summer break this year."  No excuses.  As the weeks passed and conversations happened, they began to understand.  A summer with mom, just as mom.  Not trying to cram in more "education."  Mom not trying to don teacher mode every day.  Understanding that my goal with each year is they are prepped for the next year. Understanding the most loving thing I can do, is to meet that goal.  We have experienced enough life and enough unexpected they realize my concern and motivation is valid.  The most loving thing as a homeschool mom I can do, is to not let them "fall behind" just because we want to play and homeschooling is "flexible."  As I explained, should something horrible happen and we can't homeschool, I don't want to add to the stress and trauma of drastic lifestyle changes because I did not adequately prepare you for life and demonstrate the importance of education.  Hard things are hard enough.  I don't want to add to it by a lack of discipline!

They caught on.  They got motivated.  While I have one still working on a few things.  Necessary things because of goals and plans.  We are having a summer.
In the school year, we learned schedules, deadlines and structure.
This summer I didn't want to loose all of that.
So considering this poster from last year:


I created another chart.  One I can't post, cause it has kiddo's names on it.  I just don't post my kids names. 
But this summer each day they are required to: 
Get up and do a morning routine (dress, teeth, bed, bedrooms, laundry).  
They also have to pull weeds for 20 minutes, read for 30 minutes, read their Bible for 30 minutes, do an art project for 30 minutes.  My younger two have to type for 20 minutes and do handwriting for 20 minutes.  They have assigned household chores.  In theory, their "work" can be done in about 3 hours.  The idea was to give me time to do my "Mom" stuff with no interruptions. Limit the TV vegetating and get them moving each day.  
It has worked!  
Not only has it worked, but they are learning some really valuable life lessons.  Momentum is important.  Creativity is important.  If we all work together, none of the work really takes that long.  20 minutes a day x 5 people pulling weeds, cleaned out a whole garden in 4 days.  Now it keeps the whole yard maintained.  People have noticed and complimented them.  Rooms are staying neater.  We are having more play time!  Who doesn't like play time?? !!  They are also discovering talents in art and drawing.  Learning new skills (typing, handwritine (cursive), building steps). Learning they really like to read! 

While it started out with a weeding/gardening project.  So much has come from it.  
There are a lot of things in life that we can call weeds.  
It takes a few minutes each day, working with others, receiving and giving encouragement and those weeds can be banished.  (Weeds: Laziness, bad attitudes, complaining, bad habits)  The thing is weeds come back.  They are a life long battle.  Winds blow, new seeds get planted.  Pull them up by the root and get rid of them.  But it takes determination and constant work.  It is okay to take a day or two off as needed, but get right back in there.  Focus on the end goal and what you want it to look and get to work.  
We have come a long way this summer and I am so proud of my kids! 


No comments:

Post a Comment