My Amazon Store

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Dinner adventures

Just Can't Reveal Names here.  
But there are people in this home that have a thing about food.  They LOVE it.  It is a critically important aspect of their life.  To get specific, meat is especially important.  So right on top of that list is STEAK.  

So when presented with a steak option for dinner, the best way to cook it around here is unanimously on the grill.  I have been relearning a lot around here this past year. 

One of the things, noone is to quick to "allow" me to learn is to grill.  
Grilling requires "babysitting"  and "attention"

My ability to stay focused is somewhat challenged,
 since the accident and the cooking adventures I have experienced,
while comical, have left my children protective of the grill.
 
The risk of my getting distracted and burning something is great.  

So our resident "STEAK" lover, (worship-er) volunteered to grill.  

Unfortunately, the cook, had not grilled steak before.  A 5 minute break was taken to run inside.



I heard the smoke detector... 

The frustrated chef reported to me great disappointment in self.  
As I had just looked at the steaks on the grill I knew how raw they were 5-6 minutes before the smoke detector went off.  
I still had not put together the smoke detector being connected to the steaks.  The grill is outside.  Chef said, "Charred" "Burned Completely."  
Nah, they can't be that bad. 

Apparantly, bad enough to set off the smoke detector when brought into the house.  

Ever the annoying mom, trying to find the glass half full, I scraped the "char" 
These are the after pictures: 


Not bad. 

What was scraped off (and fell off):  
The char remains from all the steaks.  
I sent this pic to Grandpa.  He bought the steaks.
We were cooking tonight's dinner.
  Oh, how I wish I could have seen his face.  


In all honesty, it wasn't bad.  
A little dark, but the kids that ate were impressed at how not bad it was. 
(One is extremely picky and just would not even go there...) 
Blessing for us, since looks can be deceiving. 

On a final note, dinner was an A.D.D. adventure all around.  
I just couldn't get dinner all together.  
So it was a 3 course meal..
 all because stuff just couldn't be done at the same time.  
The kids just rolled with it and laughed.
At least nothing I cooked was burned this time.  
Course 1 Steak. 
Course 2 Baked Potato.
3. Broccoli and corn on the cob.   
It is all about just getting the food in them sometimes... 
a pretty plate is a bonus, 
but tonight, we accomplished the basic. 

I do find tremendous humor in the fact that it wasn't my efforts to learn
that led to this adventure.  
Maybe, just maybe they will let me near the grill next time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment